By Alhagi fs Sora
The Gambia Immigration Department on 16th September 2014 issued a press release informing the general public that a new Biometric passport would soon be introduced for all eligible Gambians.
According to the release, this biometric system will render passports:
- Highly secure, to protect against forgery and identity theft.
- Makes the passport compliant with ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) regulations.
- Border crossing is made faster and easier
- Facilitate the process of getting a visa for the USA, Europe and KSA
- Make Gambian travel documents up to International standard
- An e-Gate installed at the airport for automatic border control, will allow Gambians to enter The Gambia territory in a matter of seconds.
Note that all applicants must appear in person at the designated enrollment centers for passport processing. Gambians abroad will be able to access these centers in Belgium, USA, UK and Nigeria.
The release which was signed by Mr. Pa Baboucarr Mboob, Director General of Immigration informs that a massive country-wide campaign over the media will be undertaken to further enlighten the public on this new Biometric Passport.