By Modou S. Joof
A Senior official of the Regional Education Directorate for Region 1 (Banjul and Kanifing Municipality) has declined to speak on how his office will implement the free education policy that was announced in August this year.
The Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education (MoBSE) said last month that students in all upper basic schools are to benefit from a free education initiative that will start when schools resume after the summer holidays.
On Monday, a Senior Officer at Region 1 said he cannot comment on the issue. “That is a policy issue, I think you should book an appointment to talk to the permanent secretary about it,” said the officer.
In introducing the policy the Minister of Basic and Secondary Education indicated that the newly created free education initiative will be a step forward from the free education package for pupils from lower grades.
Free education has also been announced for Senior Secondary Schools from 2015. Officials said the policy will cover all students in government-run schools, including non-Gambians.
When approached to shed light on the issue regarding his school’s readiness to implement this free education policy on Tuesday, 22 September, the Vice Principal of Latrikunda Upper Basic School declined to make any comment, claiming that civil servants are not allowed to talk to the press.
Foroyaa will approach the Ministry to find out how this free education programme is going to be implemented so that parents would know who is covered.