NEW GAS EXPLOSION HOSPITALISES ONE PERSON

By Rohey Jadama

A mew gas explosion is said to have occurred at a compound adjacent to the Abuko dumpsite on Monday night at about 9:00pm attracting the attention of the whole communities of Abuko and Wellingara and prompting the National Water and Electricity Company (NAWEC) to temporarily shut down its power supply to residents of the area.

Many initially thought it was a NAWEC transmitter that was blown off because of the deafening noise it generated and others far away thought it was the tyre of a big truck that was punctured.

As news spread, large numbers braved the darkness to find out the cause, coinciding with the arrival of the fire and rescue service and ambulance to rescue the victims.

Speaking to Modou fall, a brother to the victim said one Mr. Hadim Fall sustained severe burns all over his body as a result of the gas explosion. He also said their mattresses, clothes, mobile phones; ceiling, tiles and fans were all burnt due to the gas explosion. He said he was at work when the incident occurred but said all his clothes were burnt in the disaster. “As I am speaking to you, the clothes I am wearing now are the only clothes am left with, all our belongings are burnt,” said Modou Fall.

Modou Fall said his father boarded a taxi and rushed Hadim to the hospital.

Mr. Faal took the opportunity to appeal to philanthropists, the National Disaster Management Agency and the Government to help them.