Defence to File ‘No Case Submission’ in Lang Conteh’s Trial

By Mamadou Dem
Lawyer  Lamin Mboge, attorney for the former Kanilai  farm
manager, Lang Conteh,  yesterday, 24 February, 2015 disclosed to the
lower court in Banjul that he would file a  ‘No case-submission’ onbehalf of his client following the prosecution’s announcement of the
closure of their case after presenting their last witness.
Mr Conteh is standing trial before Principal Magistrate Dawda Jallow on
a single count of ‘theft’. He is charged for allegedly stealing the
sum of D1, 538,804.95 from Kanilai Family Farm, while serving as its
managing director.

He however denied any wrongdoing on the first day he appeared in court
before first trial magistrate Lamin Mbye. The case was then taken over
by magistrate Dawda Jallow on the 4th of August, last  year. The
accused was admitted to a bail in the sum of D2 million and ordered to provide two
Gambian sureties one of whom was asked to deposit a title deed within
the Greater Banjul Area.

When the case resumed yesterday, Tuesday, 24 February, 2015 for
continuation of hearing, Sub-Inspector Alpha Badjie announced his
appearance for the Inspector General of Police (IGP), adding that the
witness was in court and he was ready to proceed. The accused is
represented by Lawyer Mboge.
Testifying as the final prosecution witness, the director of technical
services at Ministry of Works, Construction and infrastructure, Malang
Jammeh, a civil servant and resident of Tujering, told the court what
transpired between him and the accused regarding this case.
According to the witness, in February last year, he received a letter
from the office of the Inspector General of Police for his ministry to
send evaluators to evaluate the work that was been done at the Kanilai
building complex in Banjul.
He said the exercise was conducted after sending two engineers who
were accompanied by one Inspector Conteh together with the accused
himself in order to show to the engineers the work that was done by
the contractors.
“The work was compiled and sent to the office of the IGP on February
14, 2014 at a tune of D1million. Another assessment was made again
based on the request by the Inspector Conteh which was also sent to
the office of the IGP and I would be able to recognize the said
evaluation reports if shown to me,” he said.
Sub-inspector Badjie, at this juncture, applied to tender the said
evaluation report as exhibit which was admitted without objection from
the defence.
Under cross-examination by the defence, the witness acknowledged that
the supplementary report was not contained in the said evaluation
report tendered but was instead sent to the IGP.
At this point, the matter was adjourned to the 17th of March for adoption
of briefs.
Mr Conteh was the former Director of Foreign Exchange at the Central
Bank of The Gambia prior to his appointment as Kanilai farm manager.