By Mustapha Jallow
Ambu Drammeh, a mentally ill young man, who has been detained at the
state central prison at Mile Two for seven months now, is still being
held incommunicado, according to a close family source.The mentally ill young man was earlier ordered by the Brikama
magistrate court to be taken to the ‘Tanka Tanka’ psychiatric hospital
to undergo treatment after having been arraigned for encroaching on
the aircraft parking lot at the Banjul International Airport.

He was arrested immediately before the start of the Muslim fasting
month of Ramadan in 2014 when state security agents from the National
Intelligence Agency went for him at his family residence in Farato.

An elder brother of this mentally deranged young man told this medium
earlier that when the operatives came to their home in Farato, they
asked for Ambu and informed the family that they found his Birth
Certificate, National ID (Identity) card, prayer (rosary) beads and a
pair of shoes underneath the president’s plane at the
The source said the agents waited for him until he returned home and
then whisked him away. He said after being held briefly, he was later
released and that he returned home.

After a week later, he said, the agents came again asking for Ambu and
that they were told that he left for Kerr Pateh village in the North
Bank Region to take local treatment.

It was reported that he was later picked up by the security from the
village and brought to Police headquarters in Banjul.

“We were told by the police that he was held there for only two days
and then taken away. When we checked for him at the NIA, we were told
that he was not with them. We searched for him at the Brikama and
Yundum police stations, as well as Tanka Tanka, but he was nowhere to
be found,” revealed Ambu’s elder brother.

After making several visits to the central prison in search of their
loved one, said the brother, the prison officers eventually confirmed
that he was there but that no one can have access to him.
The family members said they last made another attempt to visit him at
the prison on 25 November, 2014, but again were denied access to him
by the prison officials.

The family said they are appealing to the head of state to help them
secure the release of this young man from prison.