UDP issued a permit, standoff over

By Sailu Bah
The United Democratic Party (UDP) has finally been issued with aOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
permit by the Gambia Police Force (GPF) yesterday, Monday, 20 April, 2015 to use a public address system during their planned 10 days nationwide tour of the country.After spending four days in Fass Njaga Choi in the Lower Nuimi
district of the North Bank Region (NBR) in an apparent stand-off with
the security forces, the UDP convoy finally left for Upper Nuimi and
the Badibous to continue with the rest of the tour which is scheduled
to end on 26th April 2015.
Visiting Fass Njaga Choi yesterday morning to see what is on the
ground, this reporter was told that Mr. Lamin Dibba, the UDP Campaign
Manager, had left for Banjul to receive the permit from the police at
their headquarters. It was later communicated to the leadership on the
ground that the permit was received around 5pm. The Campaign Manager
later returned with the permit around 7pm and the delegation left Fass
to go to Bantanding Wollof in Jokadu.
The party militants have confirmed that they will be spending the
night in Badibu Salikenni before proceeding to their next scheduled
destinations in the morning.
Ousainou Darboe, the UDP party leader, said he wished this stand off
will not happen again to any political party in the country as it has
caused negative publicity.
He said it is unfortunate that this stand-off is happening at a time
an NGO Forum on human rights is meeting in The Gambia ahead of the
56th Ordinary Session of African Commission for Human and People’s
Right which is attended by participants from across Africa.
The militants anxiously waited for the outcome after the Campaign
Manager left for Banjul and there was jubilation when news was heard
that the permit was issued, as militants started to pack their things
to prepare for the journey to their next destination.
Hon. Samba Jallow of the NRP, who is also the Minority Leader of the
National Assembly, appeared at the scene and indicated that he was
there to show solidarity.
The UDP convoy finally left Fass Njaga Choi around 7pm.
It was earlier reported in this medium that the UDP convoy was intercepted
by joint security forces of the police at Fass Njaga Choi on Thursday
16 April 2015, around 6pm, when the UDP was supposed to have a meeting
in the village.