Abdoulie G. Dibba
The Gambia Supreme Islamic Council on Sunday February 7, 2016 convened a conference on the president’s declaration of the Gambia as an Islamic republic at its headquarters in MDI Road in Kanifing.
In his opening remark, Imam Muhammadou Lamin Touray, the president of the Council said they were happy when the president made the declaration in Brufut that Gambia will henceforth be an Islamic Republic. He said in order for them to register their happiness with the declaration, the Council consulted the Banjul Muslim Elders for them to meet the vice president to convey their appreciation to the president.
Supreme Islamic Council president said there will be peace and stability in the world if people abide by the teachings of the Quran and practice of the Holy prophet of Islam because all problems in the world today are caused by bad behaviours which could be addressed by applying the teachings of the Quran and practice of the Holy prophet of Islam.
Mr. Abdoulie Bah, the Deputy Permanent Secretary Office of the Vice President, said the Gambia has been home for both Muslims, Christians and others and that this is precisely the reason why the president stated categorically that the Islamic state will not deny others their rights as long as they do not encroach on the rights of others.
He said there is no compulsion in religion and everyone will be treated justly under the Islamic state.
Following the opening of the session, the following presentations were made by the presenters:
- The ingredient of an Islamic state by Sheikh Essa Darboe.
- Islam is a religion of peace and the relationship of Muslims and non Muslims under the Islamic state by Dr Omar Jah.
- The impact of practicing Sharia on individuals and societies by Qadi Omar Secka.
- Women under the Islamic state by Dawda Bah.
- The need for gradual process in the Islamic legislation by Sheikh Ousman Jah.