A press release from the Female Lawyers Association Gambia (FLAG) indicated that a new executive committee has been elected at its Annual General Meeting (AGM) held on the 12th February 2016 at the Paradise Suites.
The release states the organization elected the following members into the Executive Committee:
- Mrs Haddy Dandeh Jabbie- President
- Mrs. Sainabou Wadda Cisse- Vice President
- Ms Anna Njie –Treasurer
- Ms. Matilda Mendy – Secretary
- Ms Sasum Sillah – Assistant Secretary
- Ms Fatou Lilly Drammeh – Social Secretary
- Ms. Neneh Cham – Senior Member
- Ms Ya Kumba Jaiteh – Junior Member
- Mrs. Zainab Jawara Alami – Co-opted
- Miss Mamyima Bojang – Co-opted
- Mrs. Victoria Andrews – Co-opted member
It added “FLAG wishes to thank members who served in the last executive and reiterate the commitment of the new executive to the fight for the rights and freedoms of women and children in The Gambia.
“FLAG aims to ultimately secure changes to the laws of The Gambia for the protection and well being of women and children, with the objective of eliminating violence against them, to promote freedom of expression and to educate and enable them to participate effectively in the development process of the country.
“To this end our main activities include:
- The dissemination of information regarding women and children’s rights under the law through our biannual newsletter and simplifications of national and international legislation.
- Provision of free legal advice and representation through our Legal Aid Clinic
- Lobbying decision makers to enact more gender equitable legislation
- Educating communities about the law through training, and sensitisation sessions